Getting excited about receiving your tax refund is like getting excited to buy back your stolen bike from a pawn shop....
I am amazed that every tax season I meet at least one ignorant, infomercial lovin', tax sucker who is really excited to be getting such a big refund from the government. "It's like a bonus" they tell me with glee. I've got a little message for our not so sharp friend. Hey, moron, that's your money that the government wrongfully took from you in the first place and now they're giving it back because they have to. You could have been using that money for months if the government hadn't have stolen it from your paycheck.
Taxes in general are like when you are playing the game The Settlers of Catan and somebody plays the robber and steals your only grain (it seems like grain is always in short supply in that game) and then the joker who stole the grain says, "Do you want your grain back?" "I'll trade it back to you for two bricks!" I have a brother-in-law who loves this tactic (you know who you are). They'll trade you back what they stole from you in the first place at a profit to them. Our government takes our money, by force, and then offers us back some of our money in the form of projects and federally funded programs with a bunch of regulation and strings attached. We think it is so nice that they are using the money that they took from us to make our lives better. I've got a better idea, I'll keep my money and decide how to better spend it to make my life better.
Happy tax day everyone.
Wednesday, April 15
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's worth mentioning that I didn't create the rules of the game, I just seem to be able to capitalize on them better than some.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of which, isn't it about time for a rematch?
I figure the government saved me from myself, so I didn't fritter away that money, so when I get that money BACK, I can pad my savings account. Thank you United States of America Government! No seriously, point well taken.
ReplyDeleteMurray, in your case maybe the government did save you from yourself, and I've got some great beachfront property in Arizona that you may be interested in ...
ReplyDeleteAgain, I feel like I need to referee comments between the author and Murray. Either way, I also hate tax day, and I'm seriously considering going to a tea party.
ReplyDeleteI think taxpayers who are making less this year than last should reduce their withholding now so that the government realizes immediately what they've done to us.
ReplyDeletetime for a new post analogizer.
ReplyDelete