Monday, March 30

Sick of it

Being sick on a weekend is like going all the way to school to find out that class has been canceled...

Great that class was canceled but it sure would have been nice to know about it before I dragged myself out of bed at 0'dark hundred and scraped the ice off of my windshield as the wind froze my nose hairs.  This happened to me a bunch of times in college.  I would get ready and drive to school only to find out that my class had been canceled. The worst is when it was my 8:00 class and my next class wasn't until 10:00.  I could have slept in had I known, but now that I'm at school anyway I just have to hang out with the library nerds until my next class starts.  I profited nothing from the canceled class.  

The one good thing about being sick is that I don't have to accomplish anything: going to work; school; chores; anything.  The trash needs to be taken out?  Sorry honey, but I'm sick.  It's inventory day at work?  Sorry boss, but I'm sick.  Taxes are due today?  Sorry IRS, but I'm sick. There is a meteor heading for earth and I'm the only one who knows the mathematical formula to plug into the rocket in order to save the planet?  Sorry mankind, but I'm sick. 

But on a weekend I wouldn't do any of those things anyway.  I don't need to claim sickness as my excuse for irresponsibility.  Everybody knows that I don't accomplish anything on the weekend anyway.  So to get sick on the weekend is just like showing up for school when class is canceled, It doesn't profit me anything.   

3 comments:

  1. Being sick when you are a mother usually doesn't profit much either because it is not like your children stop needing things.
    Interestingly, when Tyler gets sick, he stays home and takes a day off, but when I get sick, he heads off to work and says, "I hope your day isn't too bad with the kids."


    p.s. If I am really sick, he sometimes stays home, but I'm trying to make a point here, so take this with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is almost as bad as thinking it's a Friday, and you don't find out until the end of a work day, that happened to me a bit ago. It profiteth-ed me nothing,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maleen, in Peter's defense, I did work on Saturday, so he was in charge of the kids for like 14 hours. He was a champ.

    ReplyDelete